Hume Community Housing Association Repairs and Maintenance Request
Hume is committed to ensuring that properties are well maintained to ensure the well being of tenants and their family.
Hume is responsible for maintaining the property and items such as cookers which were provided by Hume. Hume will repair anything that breaks as a result of fair wear and tear. There are legal requirements that Hume must meet as a landlord as detailed in your tenancy agreement.
In some cases you as the tenant may be responsible for a repair, this will most commonly be where the damage is the result of actions or activities you have been responsible for. Hume can still organise the work needed but will require you to meet the cost. Some more information is provided below under the heading "Rechargeable Repairs".
Reporting a Repair
Repairs can be reported in the following ways
- Anytime via using this website: click here to fill out the form
- During office hours by calling 9727 0688
- Out of hours (for emergencies only) by calling 9727 0688
The timeframe in which work will be undertaken is determined by the type of repair.
Repairs Time Frames:
Timeframe: 4 hours
- Health, safety and security related emergencies such as but not limited to electrical danger
- Gas leakage
- Significant water loss due to a major water pipe failure
- Major sewer overflow internal to premises including internal common areas
- Significant security threats to the premises and/or persons
- Electrical failure
Timeframe: 24 Hours
Safety or security threats to occupants requiring prompt action.
- no lights working in the home
- blocked drain outside the home
Timeframe: 48-72 hours
Situations where there is a functional failure of an essential item or appliance
- hot-water heaters
- external door locks
- common area washing machines and dryers
Timeframe: 20 days
for general repairs and maintenance requests that cannot wait for the planned works
Timeframe: Commencement of tenancy
- light globes
- gardens and lawns
- connection costs and subsequent accounts for electricity, gas and telephone
- water usage if billing is in accordance with Ministerial guidelines on water usage 2012
Timeframe: After first two weeks
- Fuses where tenant's appliances have caused the fuses to blow.
- Re-ignition of pilot lights
Timeframe: After first 3 months
Stove elements (where fault is caused by abuse)
Timeframe: After 6 months
Pest sprays and vermin control. As a general rule pests or vermin are deemed to be the responsibility of the tenant. However, Hume is flexible with these decisions, and we are aware of the impact on neighbours of infestations next door. Therefore Hume will on occasions carry out control measures if our tenant is a problem to a neighbour, or where Hume is spraying an adjacent property and an infestation occurs in the immediate vicinity
Deliberate damage or neglect
Most people take a real pride in their homes, but there are a few who damage things deliberately or thoughtlessly. We believe that it is the responsibility of those who cause damage to pay for the repair work where damage is deliberate or the result of neglect have to pay for the repair. We call these jobs 'rechargeable repairs'.
What counts as deliberate damage or neglect?
You don't have to pay for things that have been damaged by fair wear and tear, or if the damage was caused by a crime - as long as you've reported it to the Police.
If there is a doubt about how the damage happened we will come and check the problem before we make a decision.
What sort of repairs?
Here are some typical jobs that we would check to see it the damage was caused deliberately or by neglect. We may charge for other repairs if necessary:
- Broken door or door frame
- Lost keys replacement lock
- Damage caused by forced entry after lost keys
- New window glass, broken window frame
- Broken kitchen unit, toilet, bath or wash basin
- Broken electrical fittings
If you are unclear about whether you will be charged for a repair you should call your Housing Officer to discuss the matter.
If you are unfamiliar with who to contact you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and your enquiry will be passed on to the appropriate person.
Repairs and maintenance to your Hume property can be logged via our website
Urgent repairs are to be rectified straight away. The following types of repairs are considered urgent, for these repairs please contact the Hume maintenance line on (02) 9727 0688
- Burst water service
- Blocked or broken toilet
- Serious roof leak
- Gas leak
- Dangerous electrical fault
- Flooding or serious floor damage
- The failure or breakdown of any essential services or appliances that have been provided by Hume for hot water, water, cooking, heating or laundering
- The failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply
- An appliance, fitting or fixture provided by Hume that uses or supplies water and that is broken in a way that causes a substantial amount of water being wasted
- Any fault or damage that makes the home unsafe or insecure
- Serious fault in a lift or staircase